Corona and social distancing has really disrupted my normal activities and routines. In an effort to fight off the cabin fever here are 5 things that I have been doing while staying at home.
- Experiment with New Recipes: Oatmeal & Pasta w/ Vegan Cream Sauce
- Since I am currently back home living with family I have taken the opportunity to try and get them all into healthier and more sustainable eating habits. I recently fixed my whole family a bowl of oatmeal using some of the tricks from one of my favorite vegan bloggers Pick Up Limes.
- Oatmeal (first recipe) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI91-UZpJr8&t=490s
- Meditate: Spotify Guided Meditation Playlist
- I am pretty new to meditation, but I find that it has really helped me go to sleep more easily and sleep more deeply.
- Here is the playlist I have been using: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVS1recTqXhf#_=_
- Try Making a New Cocktail: Saketini
- It’s time to dig out that old bottle of Vodka or Gin that has been sitting at the back of your pantry. This is a fun way to break up the day with something different. Use what you already have! (link for finding different recipes below)
- I tried a recipe called a saketini which is a mix of Gin, Sake, and Olives. (spoiler it was gross). I won’t post the recipe because it was failure. But it was also a fun experience! I will definitely try a new recipe in the future.
- Here is a great website that will help you find new cocktails to try based on the ingredients you already have in your house. Just type in what you have available and follow the recipe. https://makemeacocktail.com/mybar/
- Exercise: Running & Home Weight Training
- I have always liked weight training. There is something about seeing the weight you are lifting increase that is soooo satisfying. You know you are getting stronger.
- Here are some home workouts I like. If you don’t have a home weight set use water bottles, cans of soup, basically anything that is heavy.
- I have also taken up running. (I hate running) But my brother really likes it. He has run a couple marathons over the past year. It has been nice to connect with him on his hobby while being stuck at home.
- If you have a friend that like running, biking, or other solitary sport, reach out to them. Learn about their hobbies during this time and take the opportunity to try something new!
- Read that Book that you have been Procrastinating On: Grant by Ron Chernow
- I am a prolific reader. Over the past 4 years I have read over 200 books. But even I have books that I procrastinate on reading. I buy them and they sit there, while I glance at them guilty every few months. Now is the time!
- I have been avoiding reading this biography on Grant that I bought last year because it is HUGE! But now it is finally time…
- Book Recommendations:
- Historical Fiction – The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
- Autobiography – Know My Name by Chanel Miller
If you end up doing any of these activities or come up with new suggestions of your own please feel free to tag me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook @easyfootprint. I would love to reshare your activities with others. We are all in this together!
Bonus for you over achievers out there: Plant some seedlings for a garden.
This one only really works if you have a yard or someplace to plant the seedlings after they grow, but it’s a great project for eager kids who are trapped at home. It also reuses many of the items that you already have in your house.
Here is my current setup for seedlings. I am waiting impatiently for them to grow!